[lg policy] Telescope protester is granted Hawaiian language interpreter

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 14:39:08 UTC 2018

 Telescope protester is granted Hawaiian language interpreter Local News
<https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/>

Mar 22, 2018
Chris Sugidono Staff Writer csugidono at mauinews.com
<http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2018/03/telescope-protester-is-granted-hawaiian-language-interpreter/>
<http://twitter.com/share?text=Telescope
protester is granted Hawaiian language interpreter>

   - <?subject=Telescope protester is granted Hawaiian language
   interpreter&body=https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2018/03/telescope-protester-is-granted-hawaiian-language-interpreter/>
   -

Haleakala telescope protester Samuel Kaleikoa Kaeo speaks with fellow
University of Hawaii Maui College professor Kiope Raymond on Wednesday at
the Wailuku District Court. The Maui News / CHRIS SUGIDONO photo

WAILUKU — A Haleakala telescope protester who asserted his right to speak
in the Hawaiian language in court earlier this year was granted an
interpreter Wednesday in Wailuku District Court.

A trial date was set for May 23 for Samuel Kaleikoa Kaeo, 51, of Kula, who
spoke only in Hawaiian during his appearance.

“I’m happy that the judiciary is turning the corner and realizing that this
issue isn’t going to go away,” Kaeo said outside the courtroom alongside a
handful of supporters. “In fact, this issue is going to grow.”

Kaeo is among six protesters arrested in the early-morning hours Aug. 2 as
dozens of protesters gathered at Kula Highway and Old Haleakala Highway to
confront a large vehicle convoy carrying equipment for construction of the
Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope at the Haleakala summit.

He has pleaded not guilty to disorderly conduct, obstructing a highway and
refusing to comply with a police officer’s order.

A $750 bench warrant had initially been issued to Kaeo after Judge Blaine
Kobayashi asked him four times to give his name in English during a court
hearing in January. Judge Kobayashi had already granted a request from the
prosecution to have Kaeo’s trial conducted in English.

A day later, the warrant was recalled and the state Judiciary changed its
policy for Hawaiian interpreters. The state agreed to provide or permit
qualified interpreters “to the extent reasonably possible.”

Kaeo’s case was reassigned to Judge Kelsey Kawano, who ordered an
interpreter for the trial. Kaeo, however, objected to the new date and
asked that his case be dismissed because more than six months has passed
since his arrest.

“I’m asking the judiciary to recognize my civil rights,” he said through an
interpreter.

Kawano told Kaeo, who is representing himself, that he must file a motion
to the court. After Wednesday’s hearing, Kaeo blamed the prosecution for
pushing his trial back due to its motion to have the trial in English.

Maui County Prosecutor J.D. Kim could not be reached immediately Wednesday
for comment.

“I really don’t understand why the trial is being pushed back so far into
the beginning of summer, which would make it by then nine months from when
I was arrested,” Kaeo said. “The judge did say I could submit a motion to
challenge that so I think for my rights as a defendant I need to explore
all possibilities.”

Kaeo said the Judiciary’s policy is still a little unclear and demanded it
ensures there is a well-trained supply of Hawaiian translators. He said the
number of native speakers is increasing, and the politics of Native
Hawaiian rights are becoming central in many court cases.

“This is not a new standard,” he said. “This is returning to what was once
the central language of the court system. The rights of our people to use
Hawaiian is not just codified in the state constitution, but we have argued
that under the human rights law that we have a right in Hawaii to defend
ourselves through Hawaiian. It’s the responsibility of the court system to
provide that and guarantee we have the best ability to defend ourselves.”

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com