[lg policy] Trial Date Set for Maui Man Who Asserts Right to Speak Hawaiian

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 14:16:33 UTC 2018

 Trial Date Set for Maui Man Who Asserts Right to Speak HawaiianWendy Osher
<http://mauinow.com/2018/03/26/trial-date-set-for-maui-man-who-asserts-right-to-speak-hawaiian/#author_bio>
· March 26, 2018, 9:20 AM HST (Updated March 26, 2018, 9:33 AM) · 21
Comments

   Text Size:
   - A
   - A
   - A

Kaleikoa Kaʻeo appeared in Maui court on Jan. 24, 2018 before Judge Blaine
Kobayashi. PC: by Wendy Osher (1.24.18)

A Maui man who asserted his right to speak Hawaiian in court instead of
English
<http://mauinow.com/2018/01/24/warrant-issued-for-man-who-spoke-only-fluent-hawaiian-in-maui-court/>,
has been granted a Hawaiian language interpreter.

The news comes after a January hearing in which a Maui Judge issued a
warrant for the man’s arrest and then recalled the warrant a day later
<http://mauinow.com/2018/01/25/breaking-warrant-recalled-for-hawaiian-man-who-refused-to-speak-english-in-court/>
amid review of the court’s policy relating to interpreters.

In January, the judiciary announced a new policy allowing Hawaiian language
interpreters saying it will provide or permit qualified Hawaiian language
interpreters to the extent reasonably possible when parties in courtroom
proceedings choose to express themselves through the Hawaiian language.

Samuel Kaleikoa Kaʻeo was among six individuals arrested last year during
the Kākoʻo Haleakalā demonstration
<http://mauinow.com/2017/08/01/kakoo-haleakala-demonstration-staged-at-convoy-crossing-site/>
against the construction of the Daniel K Inouye Solar Telescope.

He pleaded not guilty to disorderly conduct, obstructing a sidewalk and
failure to obey police who were directing traffic during a convoy for the
transport of equipment to the summit.

Following the January hearing, Kaʻeo explained his choice to speak only
Hawaiian in court saying:

“I refuse that anyone should tell a Hawaiian when they should speak
Hawaiian, especially in the defense of our sacred lands.  This whole case
is about being Hawaiian.  There is no justice when other human beings tell
another human being ‘You cannot speak the language,’ –especially the
language of this land, ʻōlelo ʻōiwi, the real language of this land. Now,
you see what the issue was? It wasn’t about me.  It was about the fact that
I was speaking Hawaiian.  These are the small obstacles that we need to
overcome as a people.”

SPONSOR MESSAGE
*Gourmet Burger Night at DUO!*Featuring USDA Prime beef gourmet burgers
handmade with aloha every Wednesday at DUO Steak & Seafood. Reserve your
table now
*Book Now* <http://www.opentable.com/duo-steak-and-seafood>

A bench trial has been set for May 23, 2018.

*Wendy Osher*
Wendy Osher leads the Maui Now news team. She is also the news voice of
parent company, Pacific Media Group, having served more than 15 years as
News Director for the company’s six Maui radio stations.

View Full Bio <http://mauinow.com/wendy-osher/>

*Scroll Down to Read 21 Comments*

Print
<http://mauinow.com/2018/03/26/trial-date-set-for-maui-man-who-asserts-right-to-speak-hawaiian/?print>