[lg policy] Trying to ride the “language” theme in the background of the rise of gas prices seems like a departure from reality – analyst

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 16:58:28 UTC 2018

Trying to ride the “language” theme in the background of the rise of gas
prices seems like a departure from reality – analyst
magictr <https://sivpost.com/author/magictr/> | November 2, 2018 | Politic
<https://sivpost.com/category/politic/> | No Comments
<https://sivpost.com/trying-to-ride-the-language-theme-in-the-background-of-the-rise-of-gas-prices-seems-like-a-departure-from-reality-analyst/30314/#respond>

[image: Попытка оседлать «языковую» тему на фоне взлета цены на газ
выглядит как уход от реальности – политолог]

The adoption of the language law could be regarded as chauvinistic step
designed to stir up conflicts in society.

The correspondent of ГолосUA said political analyst Alexei Yakubina.

In fact, the adoption of the language law in Ukraine – it is chauvinistic
step, the analyst said.

“Poroshenko when doing such things, trying to “ride” the so-called politics
of identity. That is, not to focus on the election campaign built on
“rational” as we evaluate the President by how many jobs were created in
the country, increased our well-being, and to try to shift our attention to
the identity of the series: “Here I am for the language, and you are
against me”, “I here is a type of the Church, and you are against me”, –
said A. Yakubina.

The analyst added that it is also an attempt to build a campaign on the
emotional things that a large part of people will trigger certain feelings.

“This is a deliberate irrationality, which will be used during the election
campaign. It turns out that Poroshenko and the team that goes with it,
consciously chose the path of irrationality. I understand that if we talk
about socio-economic aspects, to boast of nothing special, so I chose this
path with their emphasis on irrationality,” – said the expert.

A. Yakubina also noted that focusing solely on the Ukrainian language,
shows the power of the President to her care. Moreover, you can remember
the Minsk agreement, which prescribed that certain areas of the Donetsk and
Lugansk regions should have the right to linguistic equality.

“Such language laws further incite conflicts in the society. For the 6
months before the election, pulled out four bills on language. The key goal
of Poroshenko attempt to actively ride the topic with the language on the
background of allegations of corruption in Naftogaz and the increased
tariffs for gas for population. It is the attempt of the President to ride
the language topic and to present himself as a defender of the Ukrainian
language”, – says the analyst.

He added that there is a General rule that legislation should be enacted if
they are not focused on creating more conflict in the society. The 10th
article of the Constitution smooths out many of the conflicting issues.
However, the goal of the current government – and the other is to
strengthen the radicalisation in society and to sharpen the conflict. For
the sake of such topics and raised.

Recall, October 4, the Verkhovna Rada adopted in first reading bill No.
5670-d “On ensuring the functioning of Ukrainian as the state language”.

The document proposes to establish a National Commission on state language
standards and the Commissioner for the protection of the state language.

The bill specifies that the only document confirming the level of knowledge
of the Ukrainian language is the State certificate of unlimited duration,
which gives the Center of the Ukrainian language according to the exam
results.

The constitutional court on 28 February 2018 ruled unconstitutional the law
“On principles of state language policy” from 3 July 2012 (the so-called
law of Kolesnichenko-Kivalov) because of the violation of people’s deputies
of the procedure of its adoption. The law, in particular, provides for the
possibility of official bilingualism in regions where the number of
national minorities exceeds 10 percent.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com