[lg policy] Multidisciplinary Approaches in Language Policy and Planning Conference

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 15:51:27 UTC 2018

 Multidisciplinary Approaches in Language Policy and Planning Conference
[image: Jeff Bale's picture]
Announcement published by Jeff Bale on Thursday, November 15, 2018
Type:
Call for Papers
Date:
August 22, 2019 to August 24, 2019
Location:
Canada
Subject Fields:
Anthropology, Indigenous Studies, Linguistics, Political Science, Sociology

General Call for Papers

We invite papers and colloquia that approach language policy from a variety
of theoretical and methodological perspectives, and in a variety of
contexts, from the local/institutional to the national/global.

Abstracts of up to 300 words are welcome that address topics such as (but
not limited to):

   - Official & non-official language policies
   - Language-in-education policies
   - Language attrition, language revitalization + LP
   - Heritage language policies
   - LP and political economy
   - LP, globalization, and superdiversity
   - LP and the workplace
   - LP and lingua franca
   - LP and Indigeneity
   - LP and transnational communities
   - LP, signed languages, and Deaf studies
   - LP and anti-racism/anti-oppression
   - LP and political theory
   - National identities and language policies
   - LP and economics
   - Methods of LP inquiry

Please see the conference website for details on how to format and submit
your proposal.

We especially encourage language-policy practitioners to submit paper
and/or colloquia sessions to share their work. We can imagine various
session structures, including:

   - overviews of a specific program (e.g., how a local, regional, or
   provincial language policy supports language revitalization programming, in
   which government representatives, teachers, and curriculum developers
   co-present);
   - roundtable discussions in which policy-actors in a particular sector
   engage in dialogue about common issues and challenges they face in their
   work; and
   - practitioner-research sessions that present findings from inquiry into
   a given language policy initiative.

Focus for 2019

For this year's conference, we invite paper, colloquium, and practitioner
proposals that are specifically oriented on critical approaches to the
future of the field of Language Policy and Planning. These perspectives
might be rooted in empirical or conceptual analysis, or a mixture thereof;
and consistent with the tradition of this conference, we invite arguments
from various disciplinary perspectives. One sign of how LPP has matured
into a discipline unto itself is the appearance of multiple texts meant
to define the parameters of the field. We are over a decade out from the
first books that established LPP as a robust discipline (e.g. Ricento,
2006; Shohamy, 2006; Spolsky, 2004). More recently, Johnson (2013) and Hult
and Johnson (2015) have offered useful updates with their books on the core
concepts and research methods, respectively, in the field. Indeed, there
are now two handbooks on LPP, so you know we've made the big time!

>From this perspective of an established discipline, we specifically invite
papers that offer critical approaches that challenge scholars and
practitioners of LPP to think about and do our work differently. In the
past, the LPP Conference has not published a conference proceedings.
However, for this year, we plan to propose an edited volume that compiles
the best papers from the 2019 conference presenting critical perspectives
on the future of the field. When submitting your paper, colloquium, or
practitioner proposal, please indicate whether you would like your work
considered as part of this publication.

The deadline for submissions is Thursday, February 28, 2019.

For more information, please visit the Call for Papers page of the
conference website:
https://wordpress.oise.utoronto.ca/lpp-conference/call-for-papers/
Contact Info:

Jeff Bale, Associate Professor, OISE/University of Toronto
Contact Email:
OISE.LPP at utoronto.ca

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com