[lg policy] Kris Faafoi - language still focus of broadcast

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 16:09:43 UTC 2018

--

   - NEWS CLIP | Kris Faafoi - language still focus of broadcast policy

Kris Faafoi

00:20
mute

max volume

Broadcasting Minister Kris Faafoi says Māori radio and television along
with other parts of public broadcasting have been underfunded and left to
wither over the past decade.

But in the face of a challenge from Paakiwaha host Claudette Hauiti, he was
unwilling to concede the crown has an obligation to fund Māori broadcasting
for more than the promotion of Māori language and culture.

Mr Faafoi has added a Māori and a Pasifika voice to a ministerial advisory
panel on funding of public broadcasting.

Māori Broadcasting Minister Nanaia Mahuta has also asked her Māori
Development Ministry to review Māori broadcast needs.

He says that's sufficient to ensure government is doing enough to meet its
obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi.

"I believe we are because of the network of stations we are on right now
and also the likes of Māori Television, because they are the public
broadcasting assets we have to make sure the language and culture is not
only protected but also an outlet for Māori broadcasters to take part in
the broadcasting market," Minister Faafoi says.

He says that’s in line with the vision of the late Parekura Horomia who in
setting up Māori Television emphasised it was about creating a place for
the protection and promotion of Māori language and culture.
Follow us on [image: p_facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Waatea/107884052572277> & [image:
p_twitter] <http://twitter.com/waateanews>

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com