[lg policy] The student union at the University of Manchester instituted a ban on audible clapping during their events.

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 14:46:40 UTC 2018

--
[image: Reddit][image: Facebook][image: Twitter][image: WhatsApp][image:
Email][image: More]
CLAIM

The student union at the University of Manchester instituted a ban on
audible clapping during their events.
RATING
Mixture <https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/rating/mixture>
ORIGIN

The student union at the University of Manchester in England received
unwanted attention online following reports of what was described as a
“clapping ban” during some of their events.

The union voted <https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-45717841>
on 27 September 2018 to “swap audible clapping out for British Sign
Language (BSL) clapping,” in which participants wave their hands, during
“democratic events” related to student union policy.

“[Clapping] can trigger issues for students who have autism, sensory
issues, and deafness. And it can discourage them from being present at
those events,” said Sara Khan, the union’s liberation and access officer.

While the move was mocked
<https://twitter.com/search?q=manchester%20clapping&src=tyah> on social
media, critics failed to point out that according
<https://manchesterstudentsunion.com/articles/official-statement-on-bsl-clapping>
to a union statement, the encouragement of BSL clapping had a limited scope:

The policy was proposed in order to encourage the use of British Sign
Language (BSL) clapping during our democratic events to make those events
more accessible and inclusive for all. We are not banning audible clapping
— we understand that some people may be more comfortable to continue using
it.

Nor are we applying this motion to all events held at the Students’ Union.
The Union holds a huge number of events, including gigs, theatre
productions and sport. This policy has no bearing on those events which
make up the majority of a packed calendar at the Students’ Union. It is
only intended to be encouraged at the Union’s democratic events – those in
which our members are invited to participate in decision making which
affects the democratic organisation of the Students’ Union. In fact, those
democratic events make up a relatively small number of meetings inside the
organisation each year.

We have already received many positive responses from disabled students
(some of whom are deaf or autistic), who are pleased to feel more included
in our democratic process. Some of them plan to attend upcoming democratic
events at the Union for the first time, thanks to this policy.

The group also said that contrary to media “inaccuracies,” they did not
plan to institute a ban on audible clapping:

The language in the original policy, proposed to Senate by Liberation &
Access Exec Officer Sara Khan, resolved: “to swap audible clapping out for
BSL clapping at SU events in order to make them more accessible”, and
secondly, “to encourage student groups and societies to do the same, and to
include BSL clapping as a part of inclusion training.”

However, the SU have since clarified in a new official statement that they
“are not banning audible clapping” and that the policy resolves to
“encourage British Sign Language (BSL) clapping during our democratic
events only.

The country’s National Union of Students (NUS), an umbrella organization
comprising student unions from more than 600 such groups, has reportedly
<https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/oct/02/manchester-student-union-to-replace-clapping-with-jazz-hands>
used BSL at some events since 2015.
[image: Reddit][image: Facebook][image: Twitter][image: Email][image:
Facebook Send][image: More]

Snopes.com has long been engaged in the battle against misinformation, an
effort we could not sustain without the support of our readers.

If you'd like to learn more about how you can support us, click here
<https://www.snopes.com/how-to-support-snopes/>.
Sources
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/university-clapping-ban/#feedback>

Fact Checker: Arturo Garcia <https://www.snopes.com/author/arturo/>

Featured Image:Shutterstock
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/university-clapping-ban/>

Published:3 October 2018
More From Snopes.com
Is Christine Blasey Ford’s Lawyer the Vice Chair of a ‘Soros-Funded Org
Opposing Kavanaugh’?

4 October 2018 Conspiratorial stories that link an organization on which
Debra Katz serves as vice chair only tell part of the story.
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ford-lawyer-soros-kavanaugh/>
------------------------------
Does This Photograph Show Barack Obama Holding a ‘Michelle Obama 2020’
Shirt?

3 October 2018 Wording displayed on t-shirts is one of the easiest and most
common targets for digital image manipulators.
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/michelle-obama-2020-shirt/>
------------------------------
Have 260 Out of 535 Members of Congress Settled Sexual Assault Charges?

3 October 2018 A popular Facebook message claiming that 260 members of
congress had settled sexual assault charges seriously misread the data.
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/congress-sexual-assault-charges/>
------------------------------
Could a Case Currently Before the Supreme Court Result in a Stronger
Presidential Pardon?

3 October 2018 Gamble v. United States concerns a felon who was arrested
for possession of a firearm. It could also have significant bearing on the
President’s much vaunted pardon power.
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-gamble-court-case/>
------------------------------
Is This ‘Back to the Future’ Image Comparison with President Trump Real?

3 October 2018 An image comparison featuring Donald Trump and Biff Tannen
from the movie "Back to the Future" has not been digitally manipulated.
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-and-back-to-the-future/>
------------------------------
Do These Photographs Show a Protester Paid to Disrupt the Kavanaugh
Confirmation Hearings?

2 October 2018 Viral images shared with misleading information about
protesters resulted in harassment and death threats.
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/paid-protesters-kavanaugh-hearings/>
------------------------------
Was the Arch of Baal Erected in Washington Before Christine Blasey Ford’s
Testimony?

2 October 2018 The Arch of Palmyra appeared on the National Mall, but its
relationship to Senate Judiciary Committee hearings was purely
coincidental.
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/arch-of-baal-judiciary/>
------------------------------
Is Christine Blasey Ford ‘Deeply Tied’ to the Central Intelligence Agency?

2 October 2018 Conspiracy theorists outdid themselves in attempting to
create connections between the CIA and Brett Kavanaugh's principal accuser.
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/christine-blasey-ford-cia/>
Most Searched
0
Is This a Photograph of Christine Blasey Ford with Bill Clinton?
Fact Check Fauxtography
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ford-george-soros/>
------------------------------
0
Did Judge Martha Kavanaugh ‘Rule Against’ the Parents of Her Son’s Accuser,
Christine Blasey-Ford?
Fact Check Politics
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/brett-kavanaugh-foreclosure-accuser-parents/>
------------------------------
0
Did Senator Richard Blumenthal Misrepresent His Military Service?
Fact Check Politics
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/richard-blumenthal-vietnam/>
------------------------------
0
Did a ‘New Deadly Spider’ Species Kill Several People in the U.S. in the
Summer of 2018?
Fact Check Critter Country
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/new-deadly-spider/>
------------------------------
0
Is This a Photograph of Christine Blasey Ford Partying?
Fact Check Fauxtography
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/blasey-online-photos/>
Most Shared
0
Did a Woman Become Pregnant from Eating Squid?
Fact Check Critter Country
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/woman-pregnant-eating-squid/>
------------------------------
0
Is the Navy Naming a Ship ‘USS Tig Ol Bitties’ After an Online Vote?
Fact Check Junk News
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/is-navy-naming-tig-ol-bitties/>
------------------------------
0
Did Melania Trump Spell ‘HELP’ in a Tweet?
Fact Check Viral Phenomena
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/did-melania-spell-help-tweet/>
------------------------------
0
Did a Mother Deer Sacrifice Herself to Cheetahs to Save Her Fawns?
Fact Check Critter Country
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mother-deer-cheetahs/>
0
Did Bernie Sanders Support Dumping Nuclear Waste in a ‘Poor Latino
Community’?
Fact Check Politics
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bernie-sanders-sierra-blanca-nuclear-waste/>

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com