[lg policy] Draft laws on languages are discriminatory – analyst

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:36:57 UTC 2018

-- Draft laws on languages are discriminatory – analyst
magictr <https://sivpost.com/author/magictr/> | September 4, 2018 | Politic
<https://sivpost.com/category/politic/> | No Comments
<https://sivpost.com/draft-laws-on-languages-are-discriminatory-analyst/18768/#respond>

[image: Законопроекты о языках несут дискриминационный характер – политолог]

The fact that the Supreme Council was introduced five bills on languages –
this is a PR associated with the abolition of the law “On principles of
state language policy” from the 2012 election and that allow you to
speculate on the language theme for free and get very cheap PR in a divided
society, when there are tough opponents and supporters of these standards.

This commentary, ГолосUA said political scientist Ruslan Bortnik.

“Now the situation is repeated in 2012, when the “Party of regions” also
have used this theme for the elections. Now the new government is trying to
repeat the same trick. The issue of tongues is one of the strategies of the
President. Language, Church, history is part of its humanitarian programme,
which Poroshenko is trying to get re-elected for a second term. So I am
sure that for these laws try to vote,” – said the expert.

According to him, the chances for re-election, they have Poroshenko
miserable, and make those bills – and that’s good, because, discredited and
completely failed in the public consciousness of the “popular front” and
“Block of Petro Poroshenko” continues to speculate that right-wing card,
and continue to work on a very narrow group within Ukraine, and therefore
hold power. High probability that in the interests of this narrow group
(20-30%) will be able to accept these bills.

“Each of these bills to a greater or lesser extent, deprives citizens of
other linguistic groups to use their native language in all spheres of
public life. From education, to the public authorities, media, etc., etc.
These laws are clearly discriminatory and will lead to a new round of
escalation of confrontation with those same Hungarians, Romanians”, – said
R. Bortnik.

We will remind, today in Parliament was five bills on language. This was
during a meeting of the conciliatory Council of the Parliament, said
speaker Andrew Parubiy.

“I am convinced that this fall we should consider the law on language.
After KSU cancelled the law “Kolesnichenko-Kivalov”, created a legislative
vacuum that we must fill. There was five bills, most of them already
considered by the Committee. I called to the faction held a discussion, so
we can reach a single agreed draft law”, – said Parubiy.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com