[lg policy] Report over options to safeguard Welsh language centres to be discussed by council

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 15:32:38 UTC 2019

Report over options to safeguard Welsh language centres to be discussed by
council
By Dale Spridgeon
<https://www.northwaleschronicle.co.uk/author/profile/119186.Dale_Spridgeon/>
[image: Gwynedd Council]

Gwynedd Council
    <https://www.northwaleschronicle.co.uk/my/account/emailthispage/>  0
 comment
<https://www.northwaleschronicle.co.uk/news/17539226.report-over-options-to-safeguard-welsh-language-centres-to-be-discussed-by-council/#comments-anchor>

A REPORT outlining ways to safeguard Welsh language centres is to be
discussed by Gwynedd council chiefs.

The document, which offers a series of options aimed at ensuring the future
of the council run centres, despite a cut in the government grant which
funds them, will be considered by the Gwynedd Council's cabinet on April 2.

The report aims to emphasise the council's commitment to find new ways to
support a network of Welsh language facilities, reduce costs and ensure
long term viability.

Councillor Gareth Thomas, Gwynedd Council Cabinet Member for Education
said: “As a council, our innovative education policy and the commitment of
our schools and language centres to empower Gwynedd's young people to live
their lives through the Welsh language is consistently celebrated as an
example of best practice nationally.

"We are determined to continue to lead the way in this vital area.

“It is also evident to everyone that council services have had to face a
decade and more of funding cuts.

"Throughout this unprecedented period of austerity, we have been able to
protect the budget of our language centres through a time when the rest of
our education budget and all other service areas across the council have
faced cuts.

“By now, unfortunately, the reduction in government grant funding and
staffing costs increasing, we have no choice but to consider new ways of
running the language centres with less money.

“As a cabinet we will carefully consider all the evidence submitted by our
staff and the unions in the recent consultations, along with the key
messages from the Council’s Welsh Language Committee, Education and Economy
Scrutiny Committee and the Full Council.

“The council's education department is of the opinion that it is possible
to address the comments that have been submitted in a number of ways.

"We will be carefully weighing-up the options carefully before deciding on
the best way forward.”

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com