[lg policy] (no subject)

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 15:55:38 UTC 2019

m in govt. schools is our policy decision: Deputy CM
<https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/english-medium-in-govt-schools-is-our-policy-decision-deputy-cm/article25934946.ece>

   SHARE ON
   -
   -
   -
   -
   <?subject=English%20medium%20in%20govt.%20schools%20is%20our%20policy%20decision%3A%20Deputy%20CM%20&body=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thehindu.com%2Fnews%2Fnational%2Fkarnataka%2Fenglish-medium-in-govt-schools-is-our-policy-decision-deputy-cm%2Farticle25934946.ece>
   -  0
   <https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/english-medium-in-govt-schools-is-our-policy-decision-deputy-cm/article25934946.ece#comments_25934946>

   - NEWS <https://www.thehindu.com/news/>
   - STATES <https://www.thehindu.com/news/states/>
   - KARNATAKA <https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/>

KARNATAKA <https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/>
English medium in govt. schools is our policy decision: Deputy CM
<https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/english-medium-in-govt-schools-is-our-policy-decision-deputy-cm/article25934946.ece#>STAFF
REPORTER
<https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/english-medium-in-govt-schools-is-our-policy-decision-deputy-cm/article25934946.ece#>
BENGALURU/HASSAN, JANUARY 08, 2019 00:02 IST
UPDATED: JANUARY 08, 2019 00:02 IST

   SHARE ARTICLE
   -  21
   -
   -
   -
   <?subject=English%20medium%20in%20govt.%20schools%20is%20our%20policy%20decision%3A%20Deputy%20CM%20&body=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thehindu.com%2Fnews%2Fnational%2Fkarnataka%2Fenglish-medium-in-govt-schools-is-our-policy-decision-deputy-cm%2Farticle25934946.ece>
   -  0
   <https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/english-medium-in-govt-schools-is-our-policy-decision-deputy-cm/article25934946.ece#comments_25934946>
   - PRINT
   - A A A

G. Parameshwara, Dalit activists come out in defence of Chief Minister H.D.
Kumaraswamy

Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy’s stand on opening English medium sections
in 1,000 government schools — which has received criticism from a section
of Kannada writers — has received backing from Deputy Chief Minister G.
Parameshwara and a section of Dalit activists.

Speaking on the sidelines of the Southern India Science Fair 2019 on
Monday, Dr. Parameshwara said he agreed with the Chief Minister and that
there is a need to teach English for “international and national
competitiveness”.

“In the 21st century, we need to protect our local languages and dialects
but we also need to give a competitive edge to our students,” he said,
reiterating that English should be the medium of instruction from class 1
and Kannada should be taught as a language.

He, in fact, went a step forward and stated that this was a policy decision
taken by the coalition government.

Recently, coordination committee chairman and former Chief Minister
Siddaramaiah had taken exception to the decision and said that he would
have a discussion with Mr. Kumaraswamy.

He had tweeted stating that he had studied in the Kannada medium till high
school and asked if he was “dim-witted” for studying in his mother tongue.
He was of the opinion that Kannada should remain the “sovereign language in
Karnataka”.

Meanwhile, several Dalit organisations have come out in support of Mr.
Kumaraswamy. Mavalli Shankar, State convener of Dalit Sangharsha Samiti
(Ambedkarvada), on Monday, told *The Hindu* that his organisation had been
in favour of teaching English in government schools.
‘Dying gradually’

“Government schools are dying gradually. Only children of poor Dalits and
backward classes are going to government schools with no financial support
to afford private schools. These children cannot compete with those in
private schools. Why should students of government schools alone should
take the responsibility of safeguarding Kannada?,” he asked

The Dalit leaders have also resolved to protest against those who oppose
English medium in government schools.

Krishnadas, Hassan district convener of DSS, wanted to know where the
children and grandchildren of noted Kannada writers had been studying?

“We are opposing the hypocrisy of certain writers who advocate Kannada
medium, but send their children to private schools, where they study in the
English medium,” he said.

In fact the leaders have demanded that the government should set up a model
school in each gram panchayat

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com