[lg policy] 3 years of preschool suggested in draft National Education Policy

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 14:29:11 UTC 2019

3 years of preschool suggested in draft National Education Policy

4-year undergraduate honours courses in draft
By Basant Kumar Mohanty
<https://www.telegraphindia.com/author/basant-kumar-mohanty/96> in New Delhi

   - Published 1.06.19, 4:02 AM
   - Updated 1.06.19, 4:02 AM

   - 2 mins read
   -

[image: Among the other key proposals are free and compulsory schooling
from preschool till Grade (Class) XII, instead of only from Class I to
VIII, and a school breakfast added to the midday meal in preschool and
primary school.]
AddThis Sharing Buttons
107
Among the other key proposals are free and compulsory schooling from
preschool till Grade (Class) XII, instead of only from Class I to VIII, and
a school breakfast added to the midday meal in preschool and primary school.
(Shutterstock)
AddThis Sharing Buttons
107

Three years of preschool and four-year undergraduate honours courses are
among features of a draft National Education Policy that the Narendra Modi
government received on the first day of its second innings.

Among the other key proposals are free and compulsory schooling from
preschool till Grade (Class) XII, instead of only from Class I to VIII, and
a school breakfast added to the midday meal in preschool and primary
school.

Human resource development minister Ramesh Pokhriyal “Nishank” received the
NEP, prepared by an eight-member expert committee headed by eminent
scientist K. Kasturirangan, immediately after taking charge on Friday.

“Today I received the report. We will consult the states and take it
forward,” Nishank said.

The ministry will seek feedback from the public for about a month, higher
education secretary R. Subrahmanyam said.

After that, the final draft will be taken to the cabinet in the first week
of July, Subrahmanyam said.

India had adopted the existing education policy in 1986 and revised it in
1992. Under that policy, the 12 years of school are preceded by two years
of “early childhood care and education”, largely implemented at anganwadi
centres.

The new draft policy recommends that preschool and school education be
broken up into a 5+3+3+4 system, beginning with a five-year “foundational
stage”, made up of three years of preschool and Grades I and II.

This stage is to feature play-based, activity-based and discovery-based
education, with the learning methods continually being upgraded in the
light of the latest research.

The draft suggests exposure to more than one language at the foundational
stage. It says that most of the anganwadi centres, while focusing on play
and day care, have neglected education because of poor infrastructure.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com