[Lgpolicy] America's Last Morse Code Station

Francis M. Hult via Lgpolicy lgpolicy at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Tue Mar 5 01:28:01 UTC 2024

The Atlantic

America's Last Morse Code Station

"Calling all." This is our last cry before our eternal silence.” With that,
in January 1997, the French coast guard transmitted its final message in
Morse code. Ships in distress had radioed out dits and dahs from the era of
the Titanic to the era of Titanic. In near-instant time, the beeps could be
deciphered by Morse-code stations thousands of miles away. First used to
send messages over land in 1844, Morse code outlived the telegraph age by
becoming the lingua franca of the sea. But by the late 20th century,
satellite radio was turning it into a dying language. In February 1999, it
officially ceased being the standard for maritime communication.

Full story:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2024/04/ann-hermes-morse-code/677468/