[Lgpolicy] Reminder: AAAL 2024 Retirement celebration for Dr. Nancy H. Hornberger this Sunday

Peltz,Rakhmiel via Lgpolicy lgpolicy at lists.mail.umbc.edu
Fri Mar 22 18:13:10 UTC 2024

I don’t think I responded last year, but wanted to join Marilyn Schiffman in congratulating Nancy Hornberger upon her retirement, and to comment on how fortunate students of both Nancy and Hal Schiffman must have been to receive such sharing and mentoring.

Last year I wanted to share with the list serve the very special nature of the 80th birthday celebration at Penn in 2006 that honored Joshua Fishman. Nancy, Hal, and I were the local planning committee. A few highlights: I chaired a session at which Hal recollected Fishman’s influence on him. I was right next to the podium and Hal had to repeatedly stop and wipe his tears because he was so overwhelmed by emotion, relating Fishman’s love for one’s language to making this a better world. I remember thinking what a gift Hal was giving us and his students by being able to cry in our presence. Another moment that brought me to tears was Nancy Hornberger’s performance at lunch of two Yiddish songs she prepared in honor of Fishman. Here was a scholar, and also a trained and performing singer, sharing with us her love of music and of Fishman. I am toasting and congratulating Hal Schiffman of blessed memory and Nancy Hornberger, may she have long years of good health.
There were several other high points for me at that conference, but I will just mention that Frances, the convenor of our list-serve, continuing Hal’s innovation and sustaining effort, was at the conference then, presenting his graduate research, as a student of Nancy.
Rakhmiel Peltz
Sent from my iPhone