talk about race

Rudolf P Gaudio gaudio at u.arizona.edu
Mon Dec 6 07:07:48 UTC 1999

Susan,

There's a fair amount of work in this area by scholars working within the
Critical Discourse Analysis framework.  Teun van Dijk and Ruth Wodak, for
example, have written a lot about elites' discourses of "others" --
especially national, religious and racial others -- in Europe and (less
so) in the US.  Here are a couple representative references:

van Dijk, Teun.  1993.  Stories and racism.  In Narrative and Social
Control:  Critical Perspectives (Sage Annual Reviews of Communication
Research, vol. 21), ed. Dennis K. Mumby.  Newbury Park, Calif.:  Sage.
121-142.

Wodak, Ruth and Bernd Matouschek.  1993.  "We are dealing with people
whose origins one can clearly tell just by looking":  Critical discourse
analysis and the study of neo-racism in contemporary Austria.  Discourse
and Society 4(2): 225-248.

Another ref. that might interest you is a 1997 article by Charles Briggs
in Pragmatics entitled "Notes on a 'Confession'", which has to do with
(among other things) racist discourse in Venezuela.

Rudi Gaudio

Rudolf P. Gaudio
Department of Anthropology
University of Arizona