Arauco?

Diaz Fernandez chalimin at cybersnet.com.ar
Tue Nov 30 15:41:46 UTC 1999

Dear Mr. Nostler
Dear Mrs Riley

The answer to your question will  be found in the first chapter of my book
El Pueblo Mapuche y su Lengua (The Mapuche People and their Language) which
I have not been able to publish yet. I cannot  find a publisher yet,  the
prologue has been written by a Mapuche linguist, María Catrileo. This work
should be an important contrinution to the general knowledge of this tongue

Now I am answering you.:

Arauco was the name of a small tributary of the Bio Bio river, the people
who lived there were called Araucanians. Later on this ethnomym was applied
to the whole Mapuche nation.
This name was transcribed by Spaniards as Rauco and thus it was regisitered
on an act in Santiago  on 11-08-1541. Later on the conqueror Pedro de
Valdivia wrote it as Arauco and it was Alonso de Ercilla, who made it
wide-world known when he published his poem "La Araucana" in 1569.

Yours sincerely

.

The name Arauco comes from Ragko (according to thedefinition you have
already gotten)