Microphones

Richard J. Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Tue Apr 4 02:32:48 UTC 2000

Hey folks,

I am enjoying this discussion of recording technologies. I imagine that
we'll have this sort of techno-thread every year or so, as the reality of
our fieldwork seems so tightly wed to the rapidly evolving electronic world.
(Kind of reminds me of how we need a new translation of Homer's work every
generation --or age set.)

So, since the issue has been raised, I'd like to bring it front and center.
What mikes are useful for which purposes? I am currently wondering about the
following needs:

1) An analog mike to help get the most out of older decks. Both mono &
stereo are of interest to me.

2) A digital mike for those systems with digital input.

3) Directional vs. omni-directional mikes. This brings up the issues of
background noise in public spaces vs. what's best for controlled interview
space.

4) A good, all-round, take-it-to-the-tropics-&-then-drag-it-through-the-dust
mike (either analog or digital). When I was in engineering R&D, we'd refer
to these as "hardened" devices. We'd test their limits by backing trucks
over them until they broke. (Seriously!)

I recall hearing an experienced radio broadcaster saying that if sound is at
all important, spend half your bucks on the mike, and your remaining bucks
on all the rest of the gear combined. (Reminds me of my audiophile friends
who recommended half your budget on the speakers for any "serious" sound
system.) Does this still hold? (Computers excluded, of course!) What are
people actually spending for their mikes?

-Richard