technology in the field

Katherine Hoffman khoffman at ucla.edu
Tue Apr 4 22:07:17 UTC 2000

As we discuss which of the available technologies best suit our scholarly
needs (downloading into our laptops, transferring via internet, presenting
to classes and at conferences), I am left wondering how to best integrate
newer and cassette recordings into the field experience and relations with
consultants.  In places where taping is potentially viewed with suspicion,
such as Morocco where I work, recording on cassettes and
playing/duplicating tapes for the local communities has been an effective
way of allaying fears and giving something back that people
appreciate.  Cassettes are best suited for this purpose because most
families have a tape player radio or know someone who does.  Often when I
recorded, especially ceremonial music, my consultants wanted to play back
the recording right away.  How would I have done that if I'd been recording
on digital or other recorder?  Would I have been  able to transfer the
digital to standard cassette and then distribute the cassettes?  I just
made sure to bring type II cassettes from the States and an excellent Sony
stereo mike.  That assured good quality, but of course now it is difficult
to locate and duplicate small sections of the tape without the forwarding
and rewinding that wears down a tape.

Many of us lurking during this discussion, I imagine, are somewhat
techno-phobic and are unsure how best to take advantage of the new advances
in recording.

Katherine Hoffman
Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology