R.Dove on Dominican Republic

M. J. Hardman hardman at ufl.edu
Thu Apr 20 17:41:07 UTC 2000

I cannot give you the full reference but I remember the incident as
having been over the j, which in Spanish is an aspirate and in Haitian is
peregil where the g is sort of like 'zh'.  I also heard that Haitians
were thus being identified singly if they tried to slip over the border.
The word was being used as a shibboleth.

I also would like the full reference -- I have used it for decades as an
example in my introductory lectures.

MJ Hardman