NuShu Web site

Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Sun Apr 30 15:48:09 UTC 2000

I recently found this web page and remembered that there had been a discussion of Nushu on this list earlier so I thought I'd foward the URL and some text from the "introduction" chapter. - kerim

>http://www2.ttcn.ne.jp/~orie/home.htm
>
>What is Nushu ?
>Nushu is a beautiful script which was created hundreds of years ago by unschooled,Å@rural,Å@peasant women in Jiang Yong Prefecture, Hunan Province, China .
>
>Why did these women create this script ?
>By whom and when was this script actually created ?
>How did the women learn and use this script ?
>What value does this script have ?
>
>There are so many unanswered questions surrounding this script, and so I invite you to Journey with me into the mysterious and fascinating world of Nushu--an extremely important and valuable part of global women's culture and is now threatened with extinction.
>
>First of all, please let me introduce myself. I am your guide Orie Endo. I am a Japanese University professor and have been doing research studies on socio- linguistics for many years, and at present, I am engaged in an on-going research project on Nushu.

P. KERIM FRIEDMAN
			Anthropology, Temple University
			<mailto:kerim.mail at oxus.net>
			<http://kerim.oxus.net>