MD recorder

Karen Nakamura karen.nakamura at yale.edu
Fri Aug 4 11:54:24 UTC 2000

I've used a Sony MD recorder for the few voice interviews that I've done.
I've also evangelized my spouse (freelance writer) and parents (also
anthropologists) to get them as well.

Benefits:
   * Better sound quality
   * Longer tapes (158 minutes in monoaural mode)
   * MDs can't wear out or break
   * All recordings all automatically date-time stamped, you can also title them
     with a text title (about 16-20 letters, I think)

Loss:
   * More expensive (about $2-3 for an MD tape)
   * Less choice in recorders / players
   * I've yet to see a player that will allow me to adjust the speed/pitch
of playback
     so that I can transcribe more easily.

The big minus is the lack of a professional MD transcribing machine (foot
switches, variable speed, etc.). As MD catches on, I think we'll start to
see them. But although MD is *huge* in Japan, only a few models are coming
to the U.S. (or New Zealand). For now, when my spouse needs variable speed
playback, she redubs to tape and uses her tape transcriber. The advantage
of the tiny MD recorder, MD longetivity, and date-time stamping outweigh
the negative of having to redub (not a difficult operation, especially if
you have an integrated shelf stereo system).

That being said, MD recorders and players come in all sizes. I have a very
small Sony for recording, that also doubles as my "walkman" when I'm on the
train. At home, I have an Aiwa integrated MD bookshelf stereo, which also
doubles for playback at louder volumes than my little walkman.

Karen

ps. Note, you can get external speakers for your little handheld. Make sure
they're "powered" if you want to listen to them at loud volumes.