Watching sports

Mark Allen Peterson peterson at aucegypt.edu
Sat Dec 2 09:03:29 UTC 2000

 I have a student doing an (undergrad) paper on watching sports in 'Ahwas (coffee houses) here in Egypt.  He is focusing on what kinds of talk are allowed and what kinds of talk are considered "interruptions" (and subject to sometimes violent sanctions).

He's looking for articles on communal sports watching in bars and other arenas.  Anybody know any references?  I've got lots of stuff on sports talk and TV sports announcer talk but not much on the communal activity of TV sports watching.

Thanks,

Mark Allen Peterson
American University in Cairo