linguistic movie moments

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 7 17:17:27 UTC 2000

I'm glad to hear about this movie; some more that are real cool on
language acquisition are (a) Dances with Wolves, where Kevin Costner, oops
I mean Lt. Dunbar, learns Lakota in absolutely no elapsed time between
scenes; (b) Phenomenon, with John Travolta learning Portuguese in about 10
minutes, after being struck by lightning; (c) Encino Man, with the caveman
guy learning English after having  been dug up (I haven't sdeen this one).

For my course on "Language and Popular Culture" I have a website, where
some other stuff I have listed can be viewed:

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/popcult/syllabus.html

Hal S.