linguistic movie moments

P L Patrick patrickp at essex.ac.uk
Thu Dec 7 18:44:50 UTC 2000

Saturday Night Live used to be good for this -- I will date myself
here-- I think of it as "later" SNL but it must be a decade or more ago
now... Dialects: Paul Baldwin's Coffee Talk for /oh/ in NYC; "Da
Bearss" for some Chicago group dialect presumably influenced by E
European or Polish English (anyone know more on this?); and I think
they also had a Canadian gag. Does anyone have a good source for such
episodes on video now? (though I am in the UK I can watch either US, ie
NTSC, or UK, ie PAL, etc. formats if only I could find it)

Prof. Peter L. Patrick
Dept. of Language & Linguistics
University of Essex
Wivenhoe Park