Human Subjects Research

Jim Wilce jim.wilce at nau.edu
Fri Feb 11 19:03:54 UTC 2000

Rachel, I'd just add to Rudi's comment that there are some anthropologists
whose studies include both ethnography and semi-experimental or biomedical
interventions, and that you probably don't want your IRB app. to imply
anything at all about biomedical methods being inappropriate to your study.
I think not mentioning those methods at all, but rather simply justifying
your own methods along the lines Rudi mentioned, would be best.
Jim Wilce, Assistant Professor
Anthropology Department
Box 15200
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff AZ 86011-5200

fax 520/523-9135
office ph. 520/523-2729
email jim.wilce at nau.edu
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jmw22/ (includes information on my 1998 book,
Eloquence in Trouble: The Poetics and Politics of Complaint in Rural
Bangladesh, ISBN 0-19-510687-3)
http://www.nau.edu/asian