etymology of "wannabe"

Mark A Peterson peterson at aucegypt.edu
Wed Feb 16 04:53:06 UTC 2000

Dan's point is well taken.  Assuming we could track down an "earliest
version" of the term (in the best OED tradition), there's no reason to
assume the other uses sprang from this.  The coinage appears so simple and
obvious that a multiple origins hypothesis isn't far-fetched.

So can we do anything with performative dimensions?

Best,

Mark

Mark Allen Peterson
Asst. Professor of Anthropology
The American University in Cairo
PO Box 2511, Cairo 11511 EGYPT
peterson at aucegypt.edu

"Laughter overcomes fear, for it knows no inhibitions, no limitations. Its
idiom is never used by violence and authority."
          -- Mikhail Bakhtin