culture and global diasporas

John McCreery mccreery at gol.com
Fri Feb 18 02:05:23 UTC 2000

At 4:27 PM -0800 2/17/00, Richard J Senghas wrote:
> At 7:59 AM +0900 2/18/00, John McCreery wrote:
>
> >Good question, this. On my bookshelves I have Ulf Hannerz,Transnational
> >Connections, and James Clifford, Routes, for starters. I wonder what others
> >will suggest.
>
> I second the suggestion of Hannerz. I've found his (1992) Cultural
> Complexity: Studies in the Social Organization of Meaning (Columbia U
> Press) very useful, too.

Another possibility. Haven't read it yet, but in the January, 2000,
Anthropology Newsletter, p. 47, there is a report on the AES Book Prizes, in
which Flexible Citizenship: The Cultural Logics of Transnationality is
listed as an honorable mention. The book is described as follows,

"Aihwa Ong takes on popular theses about the impact of globalization and the
'clash of civilizations' purportedly characterizing the present. She
powerfully demonstrates the signal importance of a new anthropological
practice for understanding transnational processes that render the
distinction between home and elsewhere increasingly unstable, even as they
restructure the principles of citizenship, sovereignty and modernity."

Now that I'm at my office, I've also noticed two recent acquisitions, both,
Modernity, An Ethnographic Approach, and Capitalism, An Ethnographic
Approach, by Daniel Miller.

Finally, when it comes to contemporary social theory, my favorite source is
the journal Theory, Culture and Society, published by Sage and edited by
Mike Featherstone. Check it out.

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
Tel +81-45-314-9324