Creolization? Or Globalization?

Laura Miller LMILLE2 at wpo.it.luc.edu
Sun Feb 20 18:31:28 UTC 2000

Regarding John McCreey's posting about Japanese, English and
creolization, I think the process
           by which creoles arise is rather different from the
situation in Japan. I don't see Japanese
           incorporation of English linguistic material as very much
like "borrowing," even, and it certainly isn't
           accommodation or effort to communicate with English
speakers. One could refer to a book by Leo
           Loveday "Language Contact in Japan: A Sociolinguistic
History (Oxford), which doesn't go much
           beyond the important prior work of James Stanlaw, who has
written the most about this historically
           old phenomenon. I also have an article about it too: see
1997 "Wasei eigo: English 'loanwords'
           coined in Japan." The Life of Language: Papers in
Linguistics in Honor of William Bright,edited by
           Jane Hill, P.J. Mistry and Lyle Campbell, Mouton/De
Gruyter: The Hague, pp. 123- 139.