Creolization or globalization? Or neither?

Laura Miller LMILLE2 at wpo.it.luc.edu
Sun Feb 20 18:40:23 UTC 2000

(I'm getting error messages so hope this goes  this time, and sorry if
it already did more than once.)
Regarding John McCreey's posting about Japanese, English and
              creolization, I think the process
              by which creoles arise is rather different from the
current
              situation in Japan. I don't see Japanese
              incorporation of English linguistic material as very
much
              like "borrowing," even, and it certainly isn't
              accommodation or effort to communicate with English
              speakers. One could refer to a book by Leo
              Loveday "Language Contact in Japan: A Sociolinguistic
              History (Oxford), which doesn't go much
              beyond the important prior work of James Stanlaw,  who
has
              written the most about this historically
              old phenomenon. James has very interesting work on
Japanese-English pidgins which developed at different historical
times. None of these, however, evolved into any sort of creole
language. I also have an article about it too: see
              1997 "Wasei eigo: English 'loanwords'
              coined in Japan." The Life of Language: Papers in
              Linguistics in Honor of William Bright,edited by
              Jane Hill, P.J. Mistry and Lyle Campbell, Mouton/De