Creolization? Or Globalization?

Vincent de Rooij vderooij at pscw.uva.nl
Mon Feb 21 12:37:30 UTC 2000

Hello all,

I just want to add a few more refs to those already sent to the list:

Chaudenson, Robert. 1992. Des îles, des hommes, des langues: essais sur la
créolisation linguistique et culturelle. Paris: L'Harmattan.
	This is, as far as I am concerned, the best attempt yet to arrive at a
unified model of contact induced change of language AND culture. Not
everyone will be enthusiastic about Ch.'s ideas but I think it's a must
read for anyone interested in contact-induced change. BTW, an English
translation is in the making and will be published by Routledge.

Le Page, R.B. & Andrée Tabouret-Keller. 1985. Acts of Identity:
Creole-based approaches to language and identity. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press.
	The authors propose a socio-psychological model of language and identity
formation in language contact situations.

Rampton, Ben. 1995. Crossing: Language and Ethnicity Among Adolescents.
London: Longman.
	About 'crossing': how and why youths use language varieties spoken by
'others' (Punjabi or white adolescents using Creole, Caribbean and white
youths using Punjabi).

Thomason, Sarah G. and Terrence Kaufman. 1988. Language Contact,
Creolization, and Genetic linguistics. Berkeley: University of California
Press.
	The authors present a model of contact-induced language change that
predicts specific ourcomes for different situations of language contact.

vincent de rooij
Vincent A. de Rooij
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology, University of Amsterdam,
O.Z. Achterburgwal 185, 1012 DK Amsterdam
The Netherlands

phone: +31 20 525 2615 (office), +31 20 4 236 224 (home)
fax: +31 20 525 3010 (office)
home page: http://home.pscw.uva.nl/vderooij/