Creolization? Or Globalization?

Bill McKellin mcke at interchange.ubc.ca
Tue Feb 22 21:05:05 UTC 2000

The question of the relationship between language and cultural change is
far from new. Gramsci's original formulation of hegemony, so popular in
studies of cultural domination among political economists during the last
decade, was inspired by his analysis of the social dynamics of language change.

Gramsci, 1985. Selections from Cultural Writings. Forgacs and Newell-Smith
eds., London

Bill McKellin		                     			mcke at interchange.ubc.ca
Dept. of Anthropology and Sociology           phone 604-822-2756
University of British Columbia                      fax 604 822-6161
Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
V6T 1Z1