Call for papers for AAA 2000

Leila Monaghan monaghan at anthro.ucla.edu
Mon Jan 10 15:55:28 UTC 2000

Hi.  This is a call for papers for a session at this year's AAA titled
"International Economies of Language."  Papers should be on the
intersection between Eric Wolfian analysis of international systems and
traditional linguistic anthropology concerns such as language ideology
and language in context.

My interest in this topic comes out of work I am doing on introduction to
a collection of articles on Deaf communities around the world.  One of the
most striking things about these communities is how their linguistic
values are not only local phenomenon but historically situated
international phenomenon.  For example, sign language research in Sweden
began only after a long period of development in the US.  Once Sweden
developed an active research program, however, it in turn introduced
Swedish Sign Language to a wide variety countries, particularly in Africa
and Latin America.

Topics that might be appropriate for this panel include the contested
nature of teaching second languages, linguistic ideologies of missionaries
and how local community language attitudes play out in forums such as
international meetings on the rights of indigenous groups.   Discussions
of multilingual situations are especially welcome.

I will send out a more formal call after I know what issues people are
particularly concerned with.

best,

Leila
monaghan at anthro.ucla.edu