Cursive/Printing Ideology

Jgross at orst.edu Jgross at orst.edu
Wed Jan 12 17:40:42 UTC 2000

	Cursive vs. printing has often been a subject of conversation in my
household, having made 3 trips to France with my 2 (American) children and
having talked with numerous other American families in France. French children
are exposed to cursive right from the first years in school. My 4 year old
(moyen section de maternelle) was already bringing home printed materials in
cursive font. Signs around the classroom were in both printing and cursive.
American children who are proficient in printing, but do not know cursive are
often accused by French kids of not knowing how to write (which certainly could
translate as being "ignorant"). Knowing this, we worked hard over this past
summer teaching our 8 year old cursive before going to France, so that he would
have the same capabillities as his classmates. We returned at xmas and his
American third grade teacher is just now beginning to teach the alphabet in
cursive. She expects this to be a priority task through March.

	In a purely American context, I have never felt that not using cursive
is a sign of ignorance. I might add that European students seem to be much
quicker note-takers than American students. Perhaps handwriting method plays a
small role in this.

	Joan Gross

Associate Professor of Anthropology
Oregon State University