language socialization

Barbara LeMaster, Ph.D., C.S.C. lemaster at csulb.edu
Thu Jan 13 04:55:17 UTC 2000

Jim,

We have a recent article out about language socialization in school (don't know if this fits the kind of work you're looking for).  The paper is really about how children are being socialized into gendered roles for floor-getting behavior in teacher-structured
interactions.  The paper is called:  "Breaking the silence:  Teaching preschool children how to participate in structured teacher-student interactions", authors, Barbara LeMaster, Megan Hitchcock, Orlando Sanchez and Tina Werner, in Engendering Communication: Proceedings
of the Fifth Berkeley Women and Language Conference 1998, Berkeley Women and Language Group: CA

Barbara