Speech Communication -- qu'est-ce que c'est?

Kristine L. Fitch kfitch at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Thu Jan 13 15:55:17 UTC 2000

Dear Don Kulick,

Although the discipline of "speech communication", like the field of
psychology, is sufficiently broad and diverse to make quick overviews
difficult, I'll do my best.  For starters, the primary national
organization changed its name in 1997 from the Speech Communication
Association to the National Communication Association, in large part as a
response to members' feeling that the title "speech" no longer encompassed
a great deal of what gets studied in our discipline.

The roots of the field are, as you perhaps surmised, in rhetoric, but since
1914 when "speech teachers" began to separate themselves from departments
of English it has multiplied in a number of directions.  One formulation
(always disputable) of what all of our branches have in common is that we
study adaptation of messages to people and people to messages.  And yes, in
a great many ways and instances that includes studying "ways that people
actually talk to each other."  Two of our journals that would provide
exemplars of such work are the _Quarterly Journal of Speech_ and _Research
on Language and Social Interaction_, specific works listed below.
Sometimes that study is CA, though we would tend not to view that or use it
as a "linguistic tool"; other times it is ethnography based on extended
fieldwork in a community.  (Ethnography in our field is largely, though not
exclusively, ethnography of speaking, i.e. with a focus on communicative
activity though not limited to verbal behavior but including nonverbal,
mediated, and so forth).  The slice of the field of "speech communication"
which is, judging from your description, the part most relevant to your
question is generally referred to as language and social interaction.
Beyond that, the discipline encompasses a wide range of research into human
interaction and messaging processes, including rhetorical, electronic, and
other media; specific to particular kinds of contexts - families,
organizations, health care, mediation; and studied with the full range of
methodologies observable in the social sciences/humanities:  statistical,
textual, qualitative. And so forth.

Web sites that might be helpful:

http://www.natcom.org/   - National Communication Association
http://cscwww.cats.ohiou.edu/%7Escalsi/ Language and Social Interaction