sources on language revitalization

Benjamin Bailey Benjamin_Bailey at Brown.edu
Thu Jun 8 21:37:38 UTC 2000

Several people on the list sent me suggestions on sources re: language
revitalization efforts. thanks.

>From Gary Palmer:
The student should look at Leanne Hinton's book Flutes of Fire, which contains
descriptions of several programs in California.

>From Jim Wilce:

NAU has published a series of three collections of papers (not
peer-reviewed, is my impression) on lg. revit. programs.  They are listed,
along with quite a few others sent me by a friend, under Courses, ANT 103,
on my web page.

Best of luck!

Yours,

Jim
Jim Wilce, Associate Professor
Anthropology Department
Box 15200
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff AZ 86011-5200

fax 520/523-9135
office ph. 520/523-2729
email jim.wilce at nau.edu
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jmw22/

>From Alexandra Jaffe:

On your other message, let me recommend the work of Enrique Hamel in Mexico.
Your student might also want to look at the Mercator website, as well as the
Heritage Languages Listserv and the EBLUL website (European Bureau for
Lesser Used Languages). If they want to read about Corsica (here's the
shameless self-promotion) I have a book that came out last year with Mouton
de Gruyter called Ideologies in Action: Language Politics on Corsica

Benjamin Bailey, PhD
Center for the Study of Human Development
Box 1938, Brown University
Providence, RI  02912

e-mail: Benjamin_Bailey at brown.edu
telephone: (401) 273-6047