pronouns and imperatives

Gary Palmer gbp at nevada.edu
Fri Jun 16 15:30:40 UTC 2000

Celso,

In _The Cultural Origins Of Human Cognition_, Michael Tomasello argues
that children begin to understand other humans and themselves as
intentional beings from about the age of 2 years (I think, I don't have
the book at hand at the moment). They develop these understandings
gradually via a lot of listening and dialog in situations affording
joint attentional scenes. While this observation doesn't speak directly
to the question of when declaratives become (intentional) indirect
directives, it suggests that it could begin early and develop gradually.

Best,
Gary Palmer