Resource available: Urdu poetry performed on cassette

Jim Wilce jim.wilce at nau.edu
Thu Mar 2 17:49:39 UTC 2000

I'm forwarding this message to the list on behalf of Maggie Ronkin who is
doing her dissertation fieldwork in Pakistan.  The cassette is available in
the U.S.

>A Cassette Recording of Modern Urdu Poetry/Bypassing the Mechanisms of
>Censorship in Pakistan
>
>Mitti Ka Khuda: Asher Mahmood ke sath ek mehfil-e-nazm (Audio Cassette)
>Cabeiri deBergh Robinson, Cornell University (Editor & Producer)
>
>The forthcoming publication of Asher Mahmood's first collection of poetry,
>Mitti ka Khuda, was first announced in literary journals and newspapers in
>1997. Various Pakistani publishing houses offered to
>publish this collection provided Asher remove several poems that have
>religious, political, or sexual implications that they anticipated might be
>found objectionable and incur government censure. Asher refused to release
>his collection without these poems and the collection therefore remained
>unpublished. Changes in the cultural economy of the Urdu literary world have
>led to a growing dependance on print media in the last decades.
>Correspondingly, increasing state control over print and electronic media in
>Pakistan has effectively mixed political expediency with artistic
>considerations and independent publishers in Pakistan have increasingly
>become the front line of (unofficial) government censorship.
>
>I wanted to support Asher's efforts to publish his collection and to fulfill
>what he sees as his responsibility to speak the truth about the society in
>which he lives. Asher is also a gifted young poet
>whose work speaks to and about contemporary Pakistani society while
>maintaining an aesthetic link to both modern Urdu poetic forms and Sufic
>poetic sensibilities. He draws on a subcontinental tradition
>of devotional poetry that transcends the political borders of modern South
>Asia. In short, his is a collection highly deserving of publication.
>
>I sought a form of publication that would permit the distribution of Asher's
>collected poetic work beyond the immediate and limited context of a
>particular poetry reading and also highlight the aesthetic
>and cultural context from which his poetry grows and about which it speaks.
>As one of the people who Asher requested review his collection as he
>prepared it for publication in 1996, I was well familiar with his work. I
>had also attended several musha'irahs (group poetry readings) in which he
>participated, and I have often noted that his poetry has an even stronger
>impact in oral presentation than in written form because of his sensitivity
>for the inherent musical qualities of words. In Pakistan, a continuing
>vibrant culture of musha'irahs is still the foundation of local literary
>communities, and participation in such readings is the basis of entrance
>into the literary circles within which a young writer develops a mature
>literary sensibility. I decided that a cassette recording of Asher reading
>his poetry would be an excellent way to both publish his collection and
>highlight its aural qualities.
>
>The most aesthetically successful publications are those in which the artist
> [...]
Jim Wilce, Associate Professor
Anthropology Department
Box 15200
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff AZ 86011-5200

fax 520/523-9135
office ph. 520/523-2729
email jim.wilce at nau.edu
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jmw22/ (includes information on my 1998 book,
Eloquence in Trouble: The Poetics and Politics of Complaint in Rural
Bangladesh, ISBN 0-19-510687-3)
http://www.nau.edu/asian