call for AAA2000 papers

Clark, John jtclark at csuchico.edu
Wed Mar 22 02:11:33 UTC 2000

Speaking of Last Calls:

The "Claiming the Center" panel started up by me and Scott Kiesling,
featuring Bonnie McElhinney as a discussant has room for a couple more
papers. (the orginal call follows) If you're interested send me an e-mail
ASAP indicating interest.

How is the *center*
claimed and achieved  as white, male, heterosexual, oral/aural,
able-bodied etc. through global and local textual and interactional
practices? How is the "unmarked marker" status of whiteness, inter alia,
claimed and resisted through processes of centering and othering? How
are these same processes masked so as to attribute a timeless and
natural centered-status to these same groups? Finally, how are these
processes resisted and unmasked in global and face-to-face interaction?

John T. Clark
Professor Linguistics/English
California State University, Chico
jtclark at csuchico.edu