Diglossia

alexandra.jaffe alexandra.jaffe at wanadoo.fr
Sun Mar 26 12:12:25 UTC 2000

Dear Mark,

I think that there is a real processing issue here; one that I've encountered before and just encountered again in my observation of a bilingual teacher training course on Corsica, where I'm currently doing some new fieldwork (so your message struck a chord!).

During this course, one of the organizers had all of the participants read, in turn, parts of a handout in Corsican (a minority language) that we were all working from. There were several fluent readers of the Corsican text, but there were just as many people who were audibly struggling to decode their portions. The woman next to me finished her couple of lines, put down the piece of paper and said "I have no idea at all what I just read". In other words, she had been so involved in decoding that the meaning had escaped her.

It is not that she "can't" read the Corsican. She can, and did. But she doesn't have the years of practice reading this language that she has reading French. She, like most good adult readers, reads French (the dominant language here) without decoding at all--the meaning is "direct"/"transparent" in French orthography. But as you remark below, to read the minority/spoken language involves effort, and this effort is not what reading is about for competent adult readers. My sense is that even a very small effort--a single instance where people do not experience the text as a transparent vehicle for meaning--is perceived as a large obstacle. It is what leads people to say they "can't" (don't want) to read in a vernacular/minority language etc. So these statements about readability have to do with people's literacy experiences and the expectations they have built up about what reading is/should be.

All of this is a question of practice, practice that has been defined by diglossic relationships between languages (and therefore always ideologically conditioned). I expect--though I'm not sure--that you could at least partially explain the English/Hindi example on this basis. Reading news language is, after all, a kind of literacy practice that is not at all the same as reading Romance novels. The "decoding" was apparently not going on at the orthographic level, since she could obviously process the words quickly, but she may well have had to decode at other structural levels. So reading the newspaper could involve a real "effort" she wasn't willing to give.

Misty Jaffe