Diglossia

KE Hoffman khoffman at anthro.ucla.edu
Mon Mar 27 17:29:20 UTC 2000

Dear Mark,
You've started an interesting thread re. writing Egyptian Arabic that has
partly to do with diglossia and partly, as Misty pointed out with the case of
Corsican, to do with attitudes towards writing minority/vernacular languages
more generally.

In Morocco both issues come into play when writing Tashelhit and other
varieties of Tamazight (or 'Berber').  The diglossic relationship in Morocco is
between Standard Arabic on the one hand and Moroccan Arabic ('derija') or one
of the Tamazight varieties (Tashelhit, Tamazight or Tarifit) on the other
hand.  As for models for writing vernacular Arabic, there is poetry for sale in
the market even today (eg Mejdub, who coined many of the proverbs in
circulation) going back around 6 centuries.  I imagine that there is some
verbal art in Egyptian aamiya as well (at least there is in the Syrian Arabic,
eg plays that students could read in class as examples of vernacular languages
in print).

The thorny issue in Morocco is with Tamazight, an umbrella term for a variety
of languages forms that are in the throes of being standardized for the
purposes of writing as well as radio use.  This is a project both indigenous
rights activists and linguists have gotten involved in.  Writing Berber
suggests sympathy with a political project that to some smacks of
anti-establishment and anti-nationalism -- dangerous allegiances indeed.

I encountered a resistence to writing Tamazight quite frequently while working
in SW Morocco over the past 4 years.  This resistence came in several forms
that might interest fellow Arabists as well as non-Arabists.

First, there was the common-sense assumption of the person on the street that a
way of speaking that did not already "have" a written component was not
dignified enough to put into writing.  Writing, in this part of the country
where a majority of people are not literate, was an honor reserved for only a
few languages.

Second was an issue more relevant to my own transcription work.  My assistant,
who holds a university degree in English linguistics and is a native Tashelhit
speaker but had never written Tashelhit before, constantly found herself trying
to approproximate conventions for writing Arabic when we transcribed
Tashelhit.  We used the Arabic script, which she was more comfortable with and
which I thought more appropriate since there was so much borrowing and
code-switching into Arabic. (French ethnographers and linguists overwhelmingly
use Latin script and have set the conventions for many Moroccan Berberist
scholars as well.)  My assistant and I encountered two notable problems:
diacritics and religious language.

Re. diacritics:  when a sound resembled one found in classical Arabic, she
wanted to write it according to Arabic conventions -- eg the IPA sound "i" she
wanted to transcribe with an alif (and would put the hamza underneath).  My
convention was to use the y letter in arabic to avoid the necessity of
diacritics (which of course the alif required).

For me, avoiding diacritics was an ideological choice as well as a practical
one.  One of the arguments frequently launched against writing
Tashelhit/Tamazight at all is that without diacritical marks these language
varieties are not comprehensible.  Since it is difficult to use extensive
diacriticals for small print (newspapers etc.), this amounts to an argument
against writing in the vernaculars at all.  I developed a system whereby
diacritics were not necessary.  But to my transcription assistant, the
conventions flouted common sense about how you're supposed to write (based of
course on approaches to text she was socialized into in Arabic).

Re. religious language: Moroccans both Arabic and Tashelhit speakers pepper
their speech with frozen forms from classical Arabic, praises to God and the
prophet and other religious invocations, sometimes assimilated into Tashelhit.
My desire to capture the phonological contours of these phrases, especially
when they differed from classical Arabic, was not shared by my devout
assistant, who found this blasphemous.  After going round and round on this
issue for months, I gave up.  Capturing those particular phonological contours
in the end was not as important to my research as working in a way that allowed
my assistant to retain her dignity and piety -- she had worked hard to master
classical Arabic for religious devotation, and I seemed to be asking her to
deface it.  From that point on, whenever we ran across a classical Arabic
phrase that I wasn't sure how to write in "proper" Arabic, I passed the
notebook and pencil to her to record the phrase as she knew it should be
written (including all of the proper diacriticals).

There is no ideology-free transcript.  We pick our battles.

Katherine Hoffman
Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology
UCLA