Diglossia and too many letters

KE Hoffman khoffman at anthro.ucla.edu
Wed Mar 29 08:29:52 UTC 2000

Alex,
Re. written Koryak and reindeer herders' familiarity with the "shapes" of
Russian words and complaints about excess / paucity of "letters": another
aspect of this topic we're discussing is speakers' expectations of which
sounds get graphically represented and which sounds are implied.  This
relates, I think, to the issue of diacritical marks and vowels more
generally in languages such as Arabic (and other lang varieties using the
Arabic script): those who standardize orthography have certain expectations
about whether all sounds must be represented in graphic form or only
certain sounds / "letters."  How are people socialized into these
particular orientations to print?  Since it is often intellectuals
spearheading codification efforts, can we hypothesize these orientations to
text are due to schooling in Western languages, or some other influence?
This is another angle of our thread we might probe.

Katherine Hoffman
Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology
UCLA

I had many people tell me that they "can't read" official Koryak.