language revitalization

Benjamin Bailey Benjamin_Bailey at Brown.edu
Wed May 31 13:19:22 UTC 2000

[I received this request for sources on language revitalization efforts
from an undergraduate. You can respond to me directly,
Benjamin_Bailey at brown.edu and/or the student, Grismaldy at aol.com. I will
post whatever doesn't get posted to the list. Thank you]:

I am currently researching how the Mexican educational institutions such as
the bilingual public schools attempt to preserve the languages and cultures
of the indigenous populations that inhabit Mexico.  During my study abroad
program this past year, I was able to observe and interview students in a
bilingual elementary school whose primary educational objective is to
preserve and save, in essence, the Nahualt culture from disappearing in the
communities that it encompasses.

I am currently looking for research models of similar studies done in other
countries in attempting to preserve and revitalize other languages.  Please
advise.

Benjamin Bailey, PhD
Center for the Study of Human Development
Box 1938, Brown University
Providence, RI  02912

e-mail: Benjamin_Bailey at brown.edu
telephone: (401) 273-6047