Origin of the term "the dozens"

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Wed Nov 1 17:54:00 UTC 2000

Robin Queen wrote:

>Can someone on the list tell me where the term "the dozens" or
>"playing the dozens" comes from?  Also, is this a term that is no
>longer being used to describe ritualized verbal duelling among
>speakers of AAE and if so, is there a term that is being used
>instead.

Robin,

According to Geneva Smitherman (Talkin and Tesifyin: The language of
Black America, Houghton Mifflin 1977, page 132):

"The term "Dozens" probably comes from the fact that the original
verses involved twelve sex acts, each stated in such a way as to
rhyme with the numbers 1 to 12.

Can't help with your second question.

Ronald Kephart
Assistant Professor and Coordinator