Origin of the term "the dozens"

Bryllars at concentric.net Bryllars at concentric.net
Thu Nov 2 23:49:58 UTC 2000

>"Tripes" invokes 'soulfood' (see: 376.36 "soullfriede").
Sorry I forgot a little support on the tripes (with Dinah and Savannah)
243.24              selling foulty treepes, she would make massa
243.25   dinars with her savuneer dealinsh

==================================

To give James Joyce a little of his due - and to illustrate that this is
not a new question:

In Finnegans Wake (1922-1938)  page 285  we find the following:

     `265.L5 "Here's our dozen cousins from the starves on tripes."
             = Irish cousins from the U.S., but also 'kissin" cousins' from
the South
                and therefore  'fuckin" cousins'.
         A comment on the right indicates that these dozens are "wustworts".

[[The comment on the right to be fair is buried in the text below
[[265.27Here's our dozen               and sixty radiolumin lines to the
wustworts of
[[265.28cousins from the               a Finntown's generous poet's
office. Distorted
[[265.29starves on tripes.              mirage, aloofliest of the plain,
wherein the

"Tripes" invokes 'soulfood' (see: 376.36 "soullfriede").

See also

176.12  "Ducking Mammy"
    One of a list of "flesh and blood games" played by Dinah and Old Joe
   (ending in an elaborate (and disguised) portrait of Marcus Garvey and as
a Black
   Christ on a burning cross - which it is beyond the scope of this list to
explicate)

and
          487.30       "Out of my name you call me, Leelander. . .
Freeday's child
                              in loving and thieving."

There is of course lot's more.

Mother Fucking - comes in many non-African guises also

such as Danish-Spanish   Moraamor

Karl Reisman
Bryllars at concentric.net