Anthropolitical Linguistics

Richard J Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Mon Nov 27 22:12:11 UTC 2000

Hey folks,

I'm considering organizing a panel session (NOT a paper session) revisiting
the topic of Anthropolitical Linguistics for the 2001 Annual Meetings.
Several people have approached me about having such a session again, one in
which attendees can have an extended discussion on issues involving
lingusitic anthropology as it could inform (and learn from!) the political
world, including policy formation and implementation.

I envisage several panelists giving short (~5-10 minute) statements, then
opening up the floor to all in attendance to take us in new directions.
This time, I am contemplating having some background materials posted on
the web prior to the conference (including, perhaps, "fuller" statements by
the panelists) so that the discussion might be that much richer and more
informed.

According to AAA rules, panelists would still be free to deliver a paper in
other paper sessions. So, anyone interested?

-Richard

BTW: I'm trolling for announcements and information of importance to
linguistic anthropology to include in the Anthropology News. I'm also
soliciting commentaries or short news stories (~700) of interest to
anthropologists. Got any leads?