job ad

Stanton Wortham stantonw at gse.upenn.edu
Mon Oct 16 21:01:36 UTC 2000

The Graduate School of Education at the University of
Pennsylvania is looking for a colleague (rank open) who will
deepen the School's historical strengths in sociocultural studies
of and ethnographic research on education. Preference will be
given to candidates with preparation in sociocultural
anthropology, linguistic anthropology, qualitative sociology,
or cultural psychology. We are most interested in
scholars whose work makes an original contribution to
understanding the cultural, political, economic and social
contexts of education. Candidates must have conducted
ethnographic research, preferably in an urban or international
setting.  Candidates must have an earned doctorate, awarded
prior to appointment. We are seeking candidates whose
research speaks to recent developments in the areas of social
and cultural theory, language and  culture, social history, or
educational foundations. We will begin reviewing applications
after December 15, 2000 and  will continue to accept
applications until the position is filled.

Please submit a letter of application, CV, representative
publications, and the names and addresses of three references to:

Stanton Wortham
Sociocultural Search
Graduate School of Education
University of Pennsylvania
3440 Market Street, Suite 570
Philadelphia, PA 19104

The University of Pennsylvania is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.