job opening

Christian Nelson cnelson at comm.umass.edu
Tue Oct 17 19:06:12 UTC 2000

Dear Colleagues:
I'd like to call the following opening in my department to your
attention. Please feel to distribute this widely. (Please note that I am
not on the hiring committee.)
Sorry for the crosspostings,
Christian Nelson

The Department of Communication of the University of Massachusetts at
Amherst invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of
social interaction. We seek an excellent scholar and teacher who links
specific communication practices to social and cultural lives. Specific
areas of expertise may include, but are not limited to, social
interaction in cultural perspective; intercultural interactions;
cultural styles of interpersonal communication; conversation and social
life; interactional analysis of the relationship between visual and
verbal channels; social interaction as a site of memory, social
organization, and identification. Applications to organizational,
family, health, political, or other special contexts are welcome.

Student supervision is expected at the B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. levels.
Completed Ph.D. (by Sept. 1, 2001 appointment) required. Salary is
competitive; the position is contingent upon funding. Review of
applications will begin on January 15, 2001, and will continue until the
position is filled. Applications should include a letter specifying the
applicant's interests in the position, a curriculum vita, three letters
of reference, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and an article-length
example of research. Send materials to:

Donal Carbaugh, Chair
Search Committee
Department of Communication
Machmer Hall
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA   01003-4815

The Amherst campus is the flagship campus of the University of
Massachusetts system. Located in the scenic Pioneer Valley of western
Massachusetts, it enjoys some of the best features of urban and rural
environments. Approximately 20,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate
students are enrolled. The University is part of a unique Five College
Consortium including Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith
Colleges. The University is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action
Employer.  Applications from women and minorities are strongly
encouraged.