transferring audio data to CDs

Marcia Farr mfarr at uic.edu
Sat Sep 2 16:35:09 UTC 2000

Thanks, everyone, for all the information. I'm a bit overwhelmed by it at
the moment. Sounds like a lot more work than I had realized (Richard, it
doesn't look like we can simply record while we check our email, etc.).
Looks like a grant is in order.

One thing puzzles me. I was told  by someone at my university (perhaps
incorrectly) that magnetic tapes can deteriorate within 10-15 years. This
is why I wanted to record them onto CDs ASAP. My tapes date from 1988, so
some of them are already 12 years old. Is this not true?