Position announcement

Michele Koven mkoven at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 15 22:11:36 UTC 2000

Date: Mon 08/28/2000 10:06 AM
From:  David Swanson [dswanson at uiuc.edu]

Rank open (1+)/area open/U of IL at Urbana-Champaign

The Department of Speech Communication, University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign, seeks one or more full-time, tenure-track faculty
members, rank open.  Senior candidates should have distinguished
records of research and teaching appropriate to tenured appointment as
professor or associate professor.  Candidates for appointment as
assistant professor should have or be near to completing the Ph.D. by
the August 21, 2001, starting date.  Junior candidates may be
appointed as instructor for one year while completing degree
requirements.  Salary will be contingent on qualifications and
experience.

We seek outstanding candidates whose specialized interests complement
those of our current faculty in any area of communication studies
including communication research, public and mass communication, and
communication and culture.

One area of special interest is communication and information
technology.  Work on this topic is pursued by faculty in both our
organizational communication program and our public communication
program, employing varied disciplinary and interdisciplinary
perspectives.  Our work on technology is supported by a
state-of-the-art collaboratory and other advanced technologies and
facilities, and is the focus of a number of ongoing sponsored research
projects including the first research grant to a communication program
in NSF's KDI (Knowledge and Distributed Intelligence in the
Information Age) initiative.

A second area of special interest is health communication,
particularly the subfield of health promotion campaigns.  This program
area also is home to multiple ongoing sponsored research projects and
is expanding rapidly with new investments.  A campaign-focused
colleague would complement our existing strengths in the
interpersonal, relational, social support, organizational, and
persuasion dimensions of health communication and potentially would
connect this program to our efforts in public and mass communication.

The positions entail responsibilities for, and candidates must have or
show clear promise of developing a distinguished record of,
undergraduate and graduate teaching and research.  In addition,
candidates must work effectively with departmental colleagues having
varied disciplinary backgrounds in an expanding unit of 20 current
graduate faculty that supports large undergraduate and master's
programs as well as one of the nation's oldest and most distinguished
doctoral programs.

To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by October
20, 2000.   However, applications will be accepted until the positions
are filled.  Applicants should submit a letter of application,
curriculum vitae, samples of scholarly work, and evidence of teaching
effectiveness to the following address.  Applicants also should have
three letters of recommendation sent directly to:

David L. Swanson, Head;
Department of Speech Communication;
University of Illinois;
702 S. Wright St., Rm. 244;
Urbana, IL  61801.
Telephone:  (217) 333-2683.
Facsimile:  (217) 244-1598
The University of Illinois is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity
Employer.

David L. Swanson
Department of Speech Communication
University of Illinois