Hymes reference sought

John T. Clark jtclark at csuchico.edu
Sat Aug 25 22:12:02 UTC 2001

I remember reading a Dell Hymes piece in which (in my memory) Hymes
hears a (Native American) narrative being told, and he becomes so
thrilled with this particular narrative that it sets him to thinking
about how near and dear narrative is to us all. I recall the passage
because Hymes almost starts to write in a transfixed, psychadelic
manner--a far cry from most of his writing. Does this passage ring a
bell with anyone? If so, could someone please tell me where I read this?

Thanks,

John T. Clark