Hymes reference sought

Kristine L. Fitch kristine-fitch at uiowa.edu
Sun Aug 26 15:02:17 UTC 2001

Is it possibly in this volume -

Hymes, D. (1981). In vain I tried to tell you:  Essays in Native American
ethnopoetics. Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania Press.

I read it some time ago and my notes say it has to do with narratives and
performance; I remember it being very engaging.  Beyond that, the details
are lost in the mists of time.